First of all, I know it's been a while since I posted. Unfortunately, life got in the way of blogging. It happens. But now I back to my usual routine and have plans for a few upcoming posts to share. For this post, I decided to go with a chic comfort look. I bought these wedges 2 summers ago and have only worn them a few times. I decided to bring them back after a major closet overhaul (thanks to my dear friend, Becca).
Speaking of wardrobe rehab, I mentioned at the beginning of the year I was going to narrow down and really define my color palette/style. I wanted to share a few tips with you guys, since it's so hard to let things go you really love. In the end, less is more.
Start With A Color Palette:
- Pick a specific set of colors you want your wardrobe to center around. It doesn't mean you can't add a few items for special occasions or trips, but have an idea of what looks best on you and try to stick to it.
- My color palette includes: Navy, Black, Camel, White/Cream, Blush, Cobalt and Mustard Yellow. For the occasional trips and pops of color I'll add: Red, Teal, Coral and a bold shade of Pink.
- I would suggest you start a Pinterest page where you pin color schemes you really love. Then, after you get about 100 images - look for common themes.
Sort, Organize and Toss:
- Get rid of anything that doesn't fit. Period. If you gained weight, toss it. If you lost weight, toss it. Make room for classic, timeless pieces or new items you want to purchase when you are out shopping.
- Organize, put like items with like items. For me, handbag storage was the toughest. I have several bags that really need ample space because of their shape and structure. I realized I had the perfect shelf unit hiding away in the living room storing all my DVD's. How often do I really watch those little guys? NEVER. So I moved the shelf to the bedroom and now it houses almost half of my purses. The other half live above my clothing on a shelf in the closet.
- Now is the fun part, ask yourself what you are missing. Do I need to add more color? Do I need more classic pieces?
- Make a list of what you want and need on your cell phone. That way you have it with you when you are out shopping. Try to stick to your list so you don't end up with fad items you'll only wear once.